We’ve all been there. You’re cleaning up the kitchen and while you’re rinsing the sink, the water flows slower and slower until it stops draining altogether. There is nothing worse than a clogged sink drain when you’re trying to get things done!
So, what should you do if you have a severely clogged sink drain?
- Well the first solution you could try when the water just isn’t draining quickly. Bring a pan of water to almost boiling temperature, then pour the water down the slow-running drain. Very hot water can help dissolve any clogs that are impeding the water from draining properly.
- Another good option is to try plunging the clog. If it’s not solidified, a gentle plunge is usually all it takes to get a stopped-up drain flowing again.
- Remove the stopper or strainer and examine the underside. Sometimes hair and other debris can get wrapped around the bottom that fits into the drain. Clear the unwanted materials away before replacing.
- Small snake drains or auger cleaning tools can be bought at many hardware stores. To use one of these on your clogged sink drain, remove the stopper or strainer and insert the tip into the drain pipe. Twist the hand crank, releasing the cable further into the drain until you feel resistance. At this point, twist the auger to break up the blockage in the drain.
Never try these fixes if you have a severely clogged sink drain.
- Don’t pour hot water down a completely stopped drain. It won’t dissolve the clog and you’ll only end up bailing water before attacking the real problem.
- When plunging, never excessive force. This will only apply undue pressure to the drain pipe, causing more problems with leaking connections or a ruined trap.
- Avoid caustic over-the-counter drain cleaners. Many of these mixtures are damaging to pipes. Even worse, any over spray or splashing could cause skin or eye burns.
Call Shadrach To Fix Your Clogged Sink Drain
The best defense you have against a severely clogged sink drain is to call a trained plumber. Shadrach Plumbing & Cooling delivers a comprehensive array of professional plumbing services in the Fountain Hills, Arizona area, where we serve every customer to the highest degree. Schedule your appointment today.