What Not to Flush Down Your Toilet
Flushing certain items down your toilet can cause serious problems with your home’s plumbing system and for the environment. To avoid a clogged toilet, protect your plumbing and be a good ambassador over our planet, it’s essential to know what not to flush. Here are some of the items you should never flush down your toilet:
- Wipes of any kind: Baby wipes, cleaning wipes and even so-called “flushable” wipes should never be flushed down your toilet. Even if they appear to break down in water, they can cause blockages in pipes and sewers.
- Personal hygiene products: Some of these products expand in water and cause clogs. Others are not biodegradable and can cause blockages in pipes and sewage treatment plants.
- Dental floss: Dental floss is thin and easily caught on pipes and other items in your plumbing allowing it to become tangled, capture other objects flowing through the plumbing system and cause blockages.
- Paper towels and napkins: While toilet paper is designed to break down quickly in water, paper towels and napkins are not. They can cause a clogged toilet or even blockages down the line. These paper products should always be thrown in the trash.
- Medications: Flushing medications can harm our waterways and wildlife. Instead, dispose of old medications at designated drop-off locations or use drug take-back programs.
- Grease and cooking oil: Grease and cooking oil can solidify in pipes, causing clogs and widespread problems. It’s best to pour these substances into a container and dispose of them in the trash.
In conclusion, flushing the wrong items down your toilet can cause serious issues for your plumbing and the environment.
Shadrach Plumbing & Cooling employs skilled plumbers to handle clogged pipes or any other plumbing issue in Fountain Hills. When you’re in a jam and need a plumber fast, call Shadrach, where you’re always faithfully served to the highest degree.